If you’re facing a move into a home or another apartment, and are in the process of vacating your current rental property, you may be wondering about next steps. To help guide you, we’ve compiled this tenant move out checklist to ensure a seamless process with minimal conflicts or misunderstandings with the landlord.
1. Check the Lease Agreement
Read your rental contract carefully so you can understand how to best end the lease. This will ensure a smooth move-out procedure. Your next steps will depend on whether you have a fixed-term or month-to-month rental agreement. Also, different property managers have different rules and requirements.
2. Give Your Landlord Notice
Informing your landlord you are moving out is the next step. According to your contract, you may have to give him or her 30 days’ notice before leaving. Deliver this move-out notice in writing about five weeks before your move. It should specify the date on which you intend to move out, your new address, and a request for the return of your security deposit.
At this time, you should also book your movers.
3. Pay Your Bills
Take care of any unpaid bills before leaving your rental, such as utility bills, cable TV, Internet and phone. Settle any management fees at this time too. Keep all receipts to show you paid the bills on time.
4. Check for Damage
You must leave the rental in the same condition in which you moved in. If you notice any property damage and it’s your responsibility to fix it, do so now. Normal wear and tear is to be expected, but extra items you are responsible for include:
- Holes in the walls from hanging picture frames and artwork
- Dents or scratches on the walls and floors
- Broken tiles
- Tears, holes, burn marks or stains on carpets and curtains
- Wall stains
- Cracked or broken windows/mirrors
- Missing or broken light fixtures
- Damaged household appliances
5. Clean it Up
Make sure the rental is clean ahead of the move-out inspection. Here’s a guide of what to clean:
- Mop all hardwood and tile floors
- Vacuum carpets
- Remove pet stains
- Wash areas around light switches, vents and outlets
- Remove cobwebs
- Remove all hooks, screws, and nails
- Patch holes
- Clean light fixtures
- Repaint stained or damaged walls
- Clean windows and sills
- Dust all window blinds or screens
- Wash curtains
- Wipe clean all doors, knobs and frames
- Clear clogged drain pipes
- Clean the sink and counters
- Wipe down all kitchen cabinets and shelves
- Clean the stove
- Clean the refrigerator and dishwasher
- Clean and sanitize the toilet bowl, tub, sink, and shower
- Clean cabinets, drawers, shelves, and mirrors
- Wash tiles
- Clean exhaust air fans
Heeding the above tips will ensure a smooth move from one apartment to another.
Contact Around the Clock Moving and Storage
To get a free estimate on your apartment or home move, contact us at 469-853-0045.