If not well-prepared, moving can be an extremely stressful event. Because we realize that you are already busy with not just the concept of moving, but also in your normal daily routine we have included an extensive list of helpful tips for you to utilize as a guideline for a successful and memorable moving experience. We hope that you take advantage of our experiences and that our tips are helpful. We have also included a timeline as early as one month before your moving day up to the very day of your move.
Moving Tips to Make Your Move Easier
- If you are doing your own packing, make sure that each box is securely taped on all sides and that each box weighs no more than 50 pounds.
- With the boxes that contain glassware, dishes, crystal and other delicate items, make sure that you have clearly marked them with a dark marker with the word “fragile”. This will prevent possible breaking.
- In able to save time and also create the most of an organized and efficient move, begin moving boxes from the upstairs, attic and basement to the main floor of the house.
- If available pack any electronic equipment such as a television, VCR, DVD, computer, etc. in their original box. These boxes have been specifically designed for these pieces and fit most effectively in their own box.
- Heavy items such as large books should be packed securely by themselves and marked “heavy” so to avoid injury from improper lifting.
- Approximately one month before your move, begin collecting boxes from friends, area grocery stores, neighbors etc. Of course, you always have the benefit of ordering packing supplies from us, just call Around The Clock Moving & Storage at 469-853-0045.
- Do not pack or move flammable, combustible, corrosive or explosive items such as gasoline, paints or even ammunition. These items should be discarded or given away to prevent accident or explosion.
- Approximately two weeks before your move you should prepare a “packing and moving kit” This “kit” should include extra tape, scissors, twine, a change of clothes, toiletries, snacks, drinks, medicine, maps, etc.
- Be sure to remove all accessories and loose fittings from major appliances. This includes hoses which should be packaged separately.
- Take inventory of your belongings one moth before you move. This will make packing easier by streamlining what you may throw away when you are unpacking and also reduce your ending box count.
- If you are moving into an apartment or office building, check with property management to make sure you have proper access codes to entry gates, any parking restrictions, and also to reserve elevators if necessary.
- Small artwork and mirrors should be wrapped with newspaper or bubble wrap and packed in smaller boxes to prevent breaking.
- Hanging clothing should be packed in either wardrobe boxes or suitcases. This should also include handbags and bed pillows which can be packed in the bottom of wardrobe boxes.
- During the unloading process, inform your moving technicians where items should be located. This will save time and will result in a smoother moving process.
- Pack one room at a time and make sure that you label each carton to its designated room. For example if the box belongs in the kitchen it should be labeled “kitchen and “fragile” if its contents are glass.
- When making boxes, make sure that each carton is reinforced on the bottom with 2″ packing tape. Do not use masking tape! The each cartons should be taped closed. Fill excess space with paper to prevent crushing.
- Below you find a list of must have packing supplies to ensure the efficiency of your move:
1. Plastic bags and labels for easy identification.
2. Foam peanuts, styrofoam pellets or “popcorn.”
3. Tissue or craft paper for delicate packing jobs.
4. Corrugated paper rolls for figurines and fragile items.
5. Gummed tape (1 1/2 to 2 inches wide) and/or strong twine for sealing cartons.
6. Markers and labels for identifying contents of cartons.
7. Notebook and pencil for carton identification log.
8. Scissors and/or sharp knife
Most important! Have a great day! Moving is supposed to be a time of new beginnings and you have something to look forward to as you discover everything that makes your new home yours. If you have any questions, know that each of us at Around The Clock Moving & Storage are here for you and we look forward to serving in the near future. We can be contacted at 469-853-0045 or you may request services from this site. Again, we would like to thank you for your interest in Around The Clock Moving & Storage and we look forward to hearing from you in the near future!